Friday, June 20, 2008

www.poundpavement.com

I had plans to get baby Brody's pictures posted this morning, but after all of the emails I had to catch-up with that's not going to happen today. I have a big wedding today at the Mavris downtown Indy (one of my all time favorite venues), so I am about to leave for that and won't be back until late tonight! So Rachel, check back tomorrow morning--I'll get your photos posted asap! After that you'll meet the the Herring girls and then Angie & Craig!



I think that I know MOST of you out there, but I also know that there are some people who check my blog that I do not know. So, I am going to tell ya'll about another passion of mine besides photography which you obviously already know about since you're here! I am the race director for Pound the Pavement. Pound the Pavement is a 5K & 1 Mile road race that takes place every year in July. This year's race is on Saturday July 19th. You'll have to checkout our website by clicking here. You might be wondering why I do this or what the meaning is behind this. My family and I have organized a non-profit organization called the Coach Carey Foundation, Inc. Our sole fundraising event is Pound the Pavement. On July 20th, 2004, our world was turned upside down. My dad, who appeared to be a healthy, involved, athletic, motivated, happy person was out for a jog, and at the end of his run collapsed and passed away. You might think that that description is abrupt, but that's just how quickly it all happened. There were no signs of any health problems...nothing. We later found out that he had passed away of heart disease. It was such a shock to us, our friends, our family and the community to witness this. We got nothing but support and love from everyone we knew, and even those that we didn't know, so we wanted to do something to give back to the community and offer something to carry on his legacy. That is why we have organized Pound the Pavement for this third year in a row. Our goal is to offer a competitive race (and a fun race/walk for those less competitive individuals!!), a health fair to make people aware of their own personal health conditions, and prizes and awards for participants and spectators. However, our main goal is to raise money for our annual scholarship that we give away to a graduating high school senior who has participated in track and/or cross country and has displayed discipline in the classroom, sportsmanship in his/her sport, and been involved in extra-curricular and community activities. We are so proud to have given out two $2000 scholarships (one in 2007 and one in 2008--more info available on this on our website). This year, we hope to have an even larger turnout than we've had the first two years. We have had around 400 participants each year.

It would mean the world to me and my family if you would sacrifice this one Saturday morning out of your life and participate! We have something for everyone. There are clowns and face painting for the little ones! Dogs are welcome and they even get a doggie bandana to wear! Strollers are welcome! Mainly, we want you to come and have your cholesterol and blood pressure checked. Even if you do not participate, PLEASE have this done. It will take 2 minutes, and it could make a difference for your future.

You can register online through our website, or you can email me and I'll mail you a brochure/registration form. If you do participate, please make sure you come find me at the race and introduce yourself. This means a lot to me! You will have fun...that's a guarantee!



Also, I have a friend who has setup his own non-profit organization and asked that I share his event information with anyone and everyone that I know. You can checkout his website to learn all about his meaning and purpose by clicking here. Ryan is a great guy, and in fact you may have met him if you've been in the Apple Store at Keystone Mall. He is the store manager there, and has been a big help at Pound the Pavement. His organization "Dream World Foundation" is hosting a golf charity event at Eagle Creek Golf Course on Thursday August 21st. If running is not your thing but GOLF is, then please consider participating in his event. This is the first big event for him! I'll be there taking pictures for Ryan, so I'll see you there!!

No comments: