Saturday, March 15, 2008

DW.factory.tour!

So I learned a lot on the DW Drum Factory Tour! It was something that Simon really wanted to do, so I wanted to play good wife and go along with it. I actually thought it was really interesting and cool! Our tour guide, Eric, took us through the entire factory in Oxnard, California. I learned that DW Drums, while a little more pricey than the average, are almost 100% hand assembled. It was amazing to see the level of detail DW spends on each and every drum.

Here are just a bunch of raw drum shells. They have all kinds of cool woods that they use to make the shells. I was shocked at how quickly and easily the shells are made.

Cool shot of a ton of drum pedals...

Eric, the tour guide.

I love this one. Simon is considering getting a new snare drum in that black and silver finish. All of his other drums are in the silver broken glass finish you see above. This is Simon's typical "I'm thinking really seriously about buying this" sort of pose with his hand under his chin:)

I asked Eric if they had any current orders for some big name drummers. Ironically, I happened to be standing by these drum shells with custom stars painted on the side. They are Aaron Spears' drums! Aaron has worked with artists such as James Brown, Alicia Keys, Usher and the American Idol Tour!


Pretty drums...


Near the end of the tour, they had a GIANT set of green drums. I mean, there were two levels of drums. When you sat down in the seat, you felt like you were in a cage. Here's Simon actin' like a rockstar!


This is a guy we met on the tour!


Ok, I know that Dino is on the left, but I'm not sure of the guy's name on the right. If you guys happen to check my blog, leave a comment!


All in all...a cool trip. Here are more shots from the factory tour!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!
Simon looks like a rock star:)
Can't wait to see pictures of the beach!
Enjoy your time in Vegas...and win "BIG" :)
Aunt Cathy

Anonymous said...

Very cool. BTW - looks like the "guy you met on the tour" is holding a shell from Neil Peart's Snakes and Arrows drum kit. For drummers, a much bigger deal than Aaron Spears.